|Queensland Yacht Sales is proud to offer this exceptional piece of Queensland history for sale. Built by Mr Arthur White and launched on the 28th April 1903 as a gaff rigged fore and aft schooner and is currently partly restored/reconstructed back to her original configuration although being used as a motor launch for trips out to the reef.
Equipment included two 11m solid Oregon masts in good condition, boom, gaff and sail for main (aft) mast and other solid Oregon spars. Head sail sized for the 11m mast would require modification for use with shorter foremast. One or two of the original bronze bottle screw turnbuckles for mast stays. Understood to originally been rigged using turnbuckles and not deadeyes. A number of timber blocks. These are serviceable but not in good condition and are understood to be larger than the original blocks used.
A number of bronze Port holes, some of which are thought to be original. Also original bronze nose fitting from the front of the bow sprit. Original bronze cleats/chainplates where the bowsprit side stays connect to the hull.
In testimony of her current condition, this motor launch is currently comprehensively insured with Club Marine which requires a five yearly inspection by a marine surveyor. Her last inspection was less than 12 months ago. Not bad for a vessel one hundred and eleven years old!
A year after launching she was participating in the opening of the annual sailing season and two years later was a participant in the first motor power race held by the Royal Brisbane Yacht Club, although retiring from the race was reported as one of the best specimen of yachts on the Brisbane river.
1907 - Participated in a public event at Government house and charity work for the children's hospital.
1910 saw an overhaul by Norman Wright then she was off on another adventure, this time north to Cairns where she was used to rescue an over turned boat, one of many.
1920 - The fourth vessel in the flotilla of vessels to escort the Prince of Wales up the Brisbane River.
1927 - Used by the Innisfail Police to rescue people caught up in the major post cyclone flooding of the Tully River.
1931 and 1936 saw the salvage of a motor boat and cross river ferry in Cairns.
During the World War 2 was reportedly used by the armed forces transporting supplies out of Cairns, after the war she was used for commercial fishing until 1952 where underwent a major restoration.
1956 - Relaunched she had a single mast and single extended cabin structure, a layout designed with extended fishing trips in mind. In the front of the cabin she had a built-in freezer of approximately 1500 litre capacity.
In late 1990 she was lifted out of her water and underwent a major reconstruction and restoration of the hull, deck and cabins. Beech deck laid over ply deck and a Yanmar diesel Engine.
1994 - Relaunched and currently used for trips out to the reef.
Open by appointment 368 days a year
For inspection, detailed inventory or additional higher resolution photos please contact:
John Moore: (07) 3348 3264 || 0448 004 767 || jm@yyb. Com. Au || www. Queenslandyachtsales. Com. Au
Formerly David Bray Yachts Manly, QLD