|We live aboard a Passport 51 yacht. After renting several 15 mtr berths at MBTBC Marina, we finally bought berth V14 in April 2016. Today there are only two 15 mtr mono berth for sale. The same berths are listed from $155,000 to $180,000. Our reasons for buying were:
1. Secure long term investment; (many SM superfunds own berths at MBTBC);
2. It is highly unlikely that more berths will be built within Manly Harbour;
3. MBTBC Marina has best location to dock and permanently live aboard when cruising stops;
4. Berth owners may rent their berth privately while berth is unoccupied;
5. Capital growth since the berths were finished in 2014 has been 15%;
6. The berth was new, with secure Qld Department of Transport lease to 2044;
7. MBTBC is a private, non-profit marina where berth owners are shareholders in MBTBC Marina Inc;
8. The MBTBC Board of Directors answers to berth owners who have a voting voice in all MBTBC Marina Inc. Affairs;
9. MBTBC Marina Inc owns MBTBC Marina and MBTBC Trailer Boat Club that has trailer boat storage, parking, three launching ramps, restaurant and function centre.
10. As the last berth on the Vee finger, berfth V14 has a 2mtr side dock with unobstructed views instead of 1.5 mtr side dock and no view;
11. MBTBC Marina Inc is pet friendly;
12. There are four marinas in Manly Harbour approx 2,200 berths between RQYS, East Coast Marina, Wynnum-Manly YC and MBTBC.
We researched all marinas from Whitsundays to Southport and Manly Harbour was way and above the best investment because:
1. Manly is a great marine base for coastal cruising north to the tropical islands or south to Tasmania;
2. Moreton Bay is one of the best, protected, exploring, sailing, boating, swimming and fishing bays close to a capital city;
3. Manly Harbour channel is navigable at LAT for 2.3 mtr draft vessel.
4. Inland waterway connects Moreton Bay to Gold Coast accessable by 2.3 mtr draft vessel;
5. MBTBC Marina is cyclone rated for insurance purposes and geographically below the cyclone zones;
6. From berth V14, you can walk to all amenities, unlike some marinas requiring a car, bike or scooter to access the amenities;
7. Working on your own boat is permitted - No embedded/obligatory trade services rules; however all trades have marina access;
8. MBTBC is 30 minutes' drive to Brisbane Airport and 25 minutes to Brisbane CBD;
9. The marina is 10 minutes' drive to plaza shopping centre, Bunnings, and most marine trades centres;
10. Walk into Manly Village for Muir's chandlery, IGA, local shops, cafes, restaurants, doctors, dentists, veterinaries.
11. Hospital, ancillary medical services, police, libaries and schools are within the Manly and Wynnum district.
12. The Moreton Bay foreshore has a 10 km sealed cycle and walkway, children's park, fresh and saltwater pool, public BBOs.
Obtaining permanent live aboard status in Manly Harbour is difficult. Only 10% of berth numbers may be approved live aboard status;.
MBTBC Berth V14 comes with live aboard status and a two year tenant at $600 per mth if berth not occupied by the new owner.