Yacht & Boat Insurance
Yachthub, in conjunction with two insurance companies, Nautilus Marine Insurance and Topsail Insurance, offers boat insurance for all of your boating needs. With a wealth of boat insurance and boating expertise both insurance companies ensure your insurance is easy to understand and competitively priced.
NAUTILUS MARINE INSURANCEGet a Quote - CLICK HERE
Nautilus Marine Boat Insurance is designed so you can tailor your insurance cover to suit your boating needs.
Our pleasure craft insurance policy provides great value, simple, and easy to understand cover for all boats – new and used. We cover many types of pleasure craft, including:
- Personal Watercraft
- Trailer Boat
- House Boat
- Yacht or Catamarans
- Trailered Sailer.
All Policies Include:
- Local 24/7 support for emergency claims from our network of offices across Australia and New Zealand
- Salvage charges payable over and above sum insured if your boat is damaged or accidentally sinks
- $10 million legal liability cover
- Up to $10,000 cover for water sports equipment and personal effects on board*
- Pollution and environment protection cover included
- Flexibility of a pay by month option
- Premium discount for boating experience and boating courses.
Trailered Boats and Watercraft
Tinnies, Speed Boats, Ski Boats, Wake Board Boats, Fishing Boats, Sabots, Lasers, Hobie Cats and Stand up or Sit Down Personal Watercraft.
- 2 Years new for old replacement of a brand new boat / PWC in the even of a total loss
- Lay-up Options available, so you get a discount on your premiums for the months you don’t use your watercraft (includes cover for transit to and from a marine dealership for servicing and repair)
- $5,000 emergency assistance cover.
Displacement, Semi planning & Planing hulls, Flybridges, Sedans, Motor Sailers, Motoryacht’s, Power Catamarans, Bay Cruisers, Houseboats, Home Cruisers, Pontoon Boats, Mono & Multi Hull Sail Craft used for both cruising and racing.
- No excess payable for accidental loss or damage if loss occurs in nominated pen/marina
- Yacht racing cover including spinnaker for up to 100NM race, included at no extra cost
- Up to $2,000 cover for entry fees for official fishing tournaments / yacht races.
TOPSAIL BOAT & TRAVEL INSURANCE
Topsail Insurance have been providing boat insurance products for nearly 25 years, and operate from their offices in Sydney and Perth and their overseas office in the UK.
Topsail prides itself on its exceptional high levels of service.
Boat Insurance (Lloyd’s Underwriters)
- Yacht, Catamaran, Power Boat and small craft
- Agreed Value cover
- All Risk policy Wording
- Cruising local, coastal or blue water international.
- $10m Third Party Liability as standard in Australian waters.
- No Claim Bonus is offered for every year of no claims up to 25%.
- Optional Protected No Claims Bonus to approved clients.
- Optional Excess Waiver to approved clients, meaning you don’t pay an excess if you have a claim.
- Talk with experienced sailors that have an understanding of what you need from your insurer.
Yachtsman’s Travel Insurance – what am I covered for?
Topsail’s Yachtsman’s Travel Insurance policies work just like a regular travel policy, but extends to provide cover for your sailing holidays and trips including offshore.
Full cover operates under all sections while you are at sea, including medical, cancellation, and personal accident. BEWARE, most holiday travel will either exclude watercraft or terminate outside of coastal waters.
Topsail can also offer long term travel insurance for those sailing on extended voyages, can cater for seniors with a high age limit of up to 79, and deal with pre-existing medical conditions on a case-by-case basis, meaning no automatic rejection.
- Covers you whilst sailing, racing and boating.
- Includes medical, repatriation and cancellation.
- Ideal for Long-term cruisers – offering offshore, international cover with maximum trip durations exceeding 12 months
- Perfect for chartering abroad (optional charter excess cover)
- Annual – Suitable if you are going away for longer periods or multiple trips during a year.
- Annual policies can be used for boating and non-boating trips.
- Include your friends & family under the same policy.
Important documentation :
We recommend you read and fully understand the terms and conditions set out in the Topsail Insurance policy wording and Product Disclosure Statement prior to purchasing this product. It is also important that you read the Financial Services Guide.
By clicking the Topsail Insurance links on this page, we will refer you to Topsail Insurance Pty Ltd (ABN 69 169 907 760 AFSL 467369) trading as Topsail Insurance which can deal in and provide general advice on boat insurance. We do not act on behalf of Topsail or the insurer. We receive a commission (which is a percentage of the premium you pay) if you enter into a policy with Topsail Insurance after we refer you (including renewals and some variations which may increase or decrease the premium payable). You will pay no extra by entering your Topsail Insurance policy via Yachthub. You can ask for further information.
BOAT INSURANCE - MORE INFORMATION...
Let's start by describing the two basic sections of a typical yacht or boat insurance policy: physical damage and liability. The physical damage section covers accidental loss or damage to the boat and its machinery. This not only covers the hull and the boat engine(s), but also the sails and other equipment on board that are required to operate the boat.
The liability section covers your legal obligations to third parties. This legal liability can arise from bodily injury or loss of life, or damage to someone else's property, as a result of the ownership or operation of your boat. In order to be registered to use a mooring at Rottnest Island you require a minimum legal liability cover of $5 million.
Basically, if you have a Market Value policy and you have a total loss, the value of your boat will be determined at the time of the loss, whereas with Agreed Value the value is determined at the time of the acceptance of the policy subject to written valuation.
An anti theft device is any retail trailer anti theft device sold through a retail outlet. Combinations of padlock and chain and padlock and cable are not acceptable anti theft devices. To fit an anti theft device you must follow the instructions given by the manufacturer or retailer when you purchase the device.
Many boat insurance policies include a lay up period which is a time that the boat is normally laid up and out of commission, such as during the winter months. The underwriter will normally allow a discount (up to 5%) for each month that the boat is laid up at agreed premises.
The underwriter must consider many factors when determining the rate (or premium) to charge for a boat insurance policy. The most common determinants are: value, length, construction and age of boat; type of boat (i.e., power, sail); type of engines; mooring location; intended area of navigation; previous boating experience and claim history of the owner; lay up; and deductible amount.
The condition of your boat is mentioned as a rating factor. If you own a boat that is greater than 25 years old, the underwriter may request a recent marine survey of your boat before quoting or insuring it. The better the condition, the greater the likelihood of being approved for boat insurance and receiving a competitive quote. Anything that you can do to update and repair critical systems prior to the boat being inspected can improve the results of the marine survey and leave a better impression with the underwriter.Now that you have a better understanding of yacht and boat insurance policies, you'll be in a better position to ask the right questions when buying boat insurance. It also pays to work with a company who thoroughly understands boat and yacht insurance. This is important not just at the time that you apply for insurance, but also in the unfortunate event that you have a claim. Ensure that the underwriter has a developed repairer network in order to minimise the time taken to settle your claim and get you back on the water quickly. It is also important to disclose your claims history and other required information in order to receive insurance coverage notwithstanding payment of your premium.